Thursday, March 19, 2015

Communicating Effectively

Dr. Stolovitch (Laureate Education, n.d.) asserted that project managers need to be excellent diplomats. Portny et al (2008) goes on to describe that the “key to successful project management is effective communication –sharing the right messages with the right people in a timely manner” (p. 357). Dr. Stolovitch (Laureate Education, n.d.) also stated that communication should be clear, concise and focused. Moreover, he described that communication is more than words but spirit and attitude is more important than the words that you use. So tonality of the message and body language are factor that influence communication (Laureate Education, n.d.).

The email and the voice message had pretty much the same effect on me. I felt that all modalities (i.e. email, voicemail and face to face), were clear, concise and focused. The voicemail came across a little more pleasant. When the project manager left the voice message, I felt that I heard an emphasis on the word “help”. As Dr. Stolovitch described in the video, tonality is a factor in communication. So, the voice message sounded a bit more pleasant. Again, both email and voice message had the same effect on me and I felt that the person who delivered the message was diplomatic. Dr. Stolovitch (Laureate Education, n.d.) stated that communication is more than words but spirit and attitude is more important than the words that you use.

The face-to-face video had a negative effect on me. Dr. Stolovitch (Laureate Education, n.d.) described that timing influences communication. I had to question why the project manager did not write a short email or pick up the phone and call me / leave a voice message. Moreover, the face-to-face visit was too intrusive – it seemed to rattle my cage. If I received an email or voice mail, I would most likely be next my personal computer and I could seamlessly respond to the message. With the face-to-face encounter, I felt that I would need to drop everything (because I felt the PM was intrusive). Also, Dr. Stolovitch (Laureate Education, n.d.) stated that body language is a factor that influence communication. I felt that the project manager was in my personal space (i.e. hanging over my cubicle). I would be interested in finding out my classmates’ opinions about the three different modalities and if they had the same experience as me.

References:

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d). Communicating with stakeholders [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

My analysis of the first two modes of communication is similar to yours. However I felt that both the e-mail and voice mail could have been more concise and provided some details that emphasized specific needs and timelines. You took an interesting point of view that I had not considered for the face-to-face mode. I had not considered that it may be intrusive for the recipient of the message. It is a point that had me reconsider the effect of the message. I would have to say that I agree with you, I too might have felt intruded upon if I was busy on another part of the project. Good point Mark.

Unknown said...

Dear Mark,
You are right to make a point of “timing”. Mark (the message recipient) was clearly at a disadvantage, taken unawares and, perhaps, feeling uneasy and almost guilty. He was, certainly, immersed in a task (perhaps, even the task that Jane came to talk about) and his work was disrupted by Jane’s address.
I would also want to emphasize that “place” is just as important as “time”. In our example, it was an open-space office, and Jane talked to Mark in front of everyone else and with many overhearing the conversation. Jane’s choice of place to talk to Mark was highly inappropriate in terms of social and business etiquette: she literally made it all public, which is certain to tell negatively on Mark’s business reputation, and set people talking behind his back, while it is not yet clear whether he had failed to meet the deadline or not.
If I were Mark, I would have been fit to die of shame, and, in the future, would try to avoid Jane in crowded places.
Thank you, Mark, for making a very important point,
Marina

Gayle said...

Mark,
It's entertaining to know that a group of people can read and watch the same thing and have such different responses! I felt that the email and the voicemail were okay methods of communication. Unlike you, I was not bothered at all by the video. Maybe it's the environment that I'm used to working in, but people stop by my office all the time to talk about things -- it's possible I'm just used to it.

I actually think the face-to-face communication was very effective because you could see her body language and her her tone of voice at the same time. I think she came across as professional. The voicemail sounded almost as if she was trying to make light of the situation, which I didn't believe would make Mark see the request as important.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

I found your interpretation of the video delivery fascinating since mine was totally opposite. I thought that Jane's body language (remaining on the other side of the partition) as well as her tone conveyed diplomacy and respect. I felt as though she was trying not to be confrontational and actually thought that she could have afforded to come closer by coming around the partition and sitting down with Mark - in affect removing the barrier between them. Wow, your interpretation really shows how careful one needs to be in the office.